Frequently Asked Questions

We have heard thousands of questions, and chosen to provide you with the answers to some of the more common questions relating to a funeral, a funeral service and funeral homes.

  • How am I sure the cremated remains I receive are those of my loved one?We own and operate our own crematory locally. From the time your loved one enters into our care, through the cremation process and is returned to you, our documentation is very thorough and complete.
  • Do I have to come in to your facility to make arrangements?We want to help you through this difficult time so we offer several options for making cremation arrangements. We can meet you at any of our sister facilities throughout San Diego County, come to your home, or make arrangements by phone, fax and email.
  • How soon after death must a person be cremated?California state law requires that the deceased must either be embalmed or refrigerated within 24 hours of death. With simple cremation the deceased will be transferred to our secure, climate-controlled facility.
  • With cremation, can there still be a service, viewing, or military ceremony?Yes, you may have a variety of services with cremation. If you prefer to have more services than a simple cremation, our mortuary group has facilities and staff to accommodate all needs. Please contact us.
  • How long will this whole process take?We must obtain a death certificate signed by the deceased’s attending physician or the medical examiner prior to filing the cremation permit with the State of California. Once a death certificate has been signed, we will obtain a cremation permit with the State of California. After the permit is secured, the cremation process will begin.
  • Are Medical Examiner/Coroner fees included in your price?No, The fee, if required, is payable to the medical examiner.
  • Where do I get a death certificate?You may obtain a certified copy of the death certificate from the County Health Department where the death occurred. If you let us know how many you will need, we can obtain the certified copies for you. There is a fee for each certified copy ordered.
  • Are you regulated?All funeral home activities are regulated by the Federal Trade Commission. The Funeral Rule was revised July 19, 1994 and continues to require the industry to provide information and disclosures that help consumers when shopping and purchasing funeral goods and services.Abbey Cremation and Funeral Service is licensed through the State of California – License # FD-2109. The Cemetery & Funeral Bureau licenses and regulates our industry.
  • Where do I get Social Security Benefits information?You must apply in order to receive benefits. You may apply at any Social Security office or, if you wish, you may apply by telephone. Just dial the toll-free number 1-800-772-1213 and the operator will schedule an appointment for you or arrange for the local Social Security office to take your claim by telephone. You may also visit their website –
  • What about death-related Veterans benefits?Veterans benefits vary depending on many factors. You may contact the Veterans Affairs Office to determine what benefits can be claimed. The national, toll-free number for the Veterans Affairs Office is (800) 827-1000.